Monday, June 20, 2011

You Might Be A Redneck If...

The other day I went over to a good friend's house and laughed as I was walking up to the front door because her husband had gotten somewhere a wind chime like contraption made of beer cans hung from a sign that read: Redneck Windchime. It totally made me think of my Dad. 
 
Then I took Amazing Boyfriend out to his Dad's house, and in his shop he had a very similar sign just with different beer cans. Again, this made me laugh and think of my Dad. 
 
Then I decided that I had to make one. 
 
(For my Dad, of course!)



Wanna see how I did it? 



Supplies:
 3 empty beer cans 
 small piece of wood
paint (or vinyl) 
fishing line or twine
drill



I started off by making the main sign, which is what you'll be hanging the beer cans off of. I bought a piece of wood at Michael's for $1.49 because I liked the zig zag edges on the ends.
 
Amazing Boyfriend said that he could wood burn the letters for me, but kept procrastinating about it. So I got sick of waiting for him and decided to paint the letters instead. You could just as easily use vinyl to cut out the words and stick them on, but I like to paint. When you make your sign just make sure that you leave plenty of room along the bottom of the sign to drill the holes.




 Once you have your sign made it's time to drill your holes. Using your drill make 3 holes along the bottom of your sign. These are where you're going to hang your cans. At the top of the sign you're going to drill holes to hang it. I decided to drill holes at each end to hang it long ways, but you could drill just one hole and make a looped hanger. ABF was nice enough to drill the holes for me, but only because he didn't want me touching his brand new drill.



When you got your holes drilled into the wood, it's time to tie everything together. If it's going to be hung outside, make sure to double knot your knots to prevent things from coming untied.





And once it's all tied together, you're done. Now you can hang it off your front porch for all the world to see... (or not)




Come on, that's funny!!!

My Dad is going to love it! It's going to be the perfect addition to his garage decor. I'm so happy that I decided to paint the sign, I think it makes it look really redneck. Surprisingly enough, it actually makes a cool sound when the cans clink together.

And I must add a special thank you to my buddy, Brad, for the donation of the beer cans. So happy that I didn't have to drink the beer myself to do this project. 


I'm sharing this project at the following link parties: 


































30 comments:

  1. That is funny! And too cute! What did your dad say?

    day-and-age-design.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cute! I have actually seen them made with glass bottles that have been squished

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cute! I'm totally making one for Myke! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha this made me giggle this morning! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha awesome.

    My stepdad & a bunch of people he knows have their very own little "redneck campground" at this lake. They've gone all out (I couldn't believe it last time I was there!); "outdoor sunroom" (ie: old couch, chairs, tvs, etc. outside with several of those old clear tarp things surrounding it), old vans/school buses into campers, redneck flags flying everywhere, .. and so much more that I can't even remember. Needless to say, this would be ideal decor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, that is hilarious! Love it! :)
    Thank you so much for leaving such a sweet comment on my blog!
    I hope you're having a fabulous week!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog! This is really funny...I am laughing out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this project and seriously laughed out loud! How fun, what a creative idea! Thanks for your vote over at OMTWI and your sweet comment on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. First off, I wish I had that good of handwriting! Second, what a great project!! I love the creativity. I have an uncle who is a farmer and I just keep thinking that he would love something like this =)

    I found your cute blog via vintage wanna bee linky party

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I already commented on this post, BUT...
    I wanted to let you know that I will be hosting a new blog hop called Social Saturdays. It will start this Saturday so you can share your blog link and meet other bloggers. Please stop by and check it out. :)

    Jamie

    day-and-age-design.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is hilarious! hope your daddy laughed. You have got to be the best daughter ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really cute. I'm going to make one for my(adult)boys.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have the same kind of humor! SO happy to see that! Get over to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This made me laugh out loud! So cute and funny! Thanks for linking to Handy Man, Crafty Woman Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL! That's awesome! We had a "White Trash Halloween Party" a few years back, that would have been PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That has me laughing out loud...*dog thinks mama's gone nuts* but as much as I like it, I don't think anybody but me would get it here in Spain!
    Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do agree with you, that IS funny.

    ReplyDelete
  18. lol, I have a friend who would love this. Hope your dad did too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's funny! Come visit me at Weidknecht.blogspot.com! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  20. HAHA!!! Love it!! Thanks for sharing :)

    We host a linky party "Strut Your Stuff Sunday!" We would love for you to link up! We appreciate it!!

    Kristine
    www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hilarious! Love it! I tried to buy something similar on vacation and the item was not for sale. Now I know how to make one for myself :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. :)) Hilarious! Just loved it:)
    Great idea and thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so cute (and funny)! I feel like the men in my life (my dad and my boyfriend) seriously need these!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks so much for liking up to the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.
    Crystal
    www.chocolatedroolandkisses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop has grown for the better because of your participation. Thanks for linking up this great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now that's funny...I don't care who you are! I am making this for a friend for his birthday. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Spend some time on this website. I recently came across your educational site and wanted to let you know how much I've been enjoying reading your superbly written blog postings. I'll be back often, I can assure you of that.
    Washing Machine Repair in Sharjah

    ReplyDelete

You have something nice to say? Write it here!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...